Stress can be positive – like starting a new job or getting a promotion, an upcoming test , marriage, having a baby, moving, retiring, learning something new, etc.
Characteristics of positive stress:
- It motivates
- Is short-term
- Is something you believe you can handle
- It feels exciting
- It sharpens your focus and improves performance
Characteristics of negative stress:
- It causes anxiety and concern
- It can be either short term or long term
- You don’t believe you can handle it
- It feels bad
- It sucks out your ability to perform well
- Long term, it can lead to mental and physical problems
Hair loss is a good example of negative stress. One day you’re brushing your hair just like always, when a wad of hair comes out in your brush. You search the area and find a dime size circular patch devoid of hair. You take a shower and see the drain is clogged with a clump of sodden matted hair. Before you can make your bed you have to pick off yet more hair strands from your pillow. This scenario repeats day after day until there is no hiding the change to your appearance. What then?
If you are a woman who has ever experienced hair loss, you are familiar with these feelings:
- Shock – this can’t be happening to me
- Fear – what is happening to me?
- Anxiety – will I ever get my hair back? What will people think/say? Will I be ridiculed and rejected?
- Frustration – treatment can be so painful and doesn’t always work.
- Confusion – wigs are hot, itchy and good ones are expensive, but what kind of life can I expect if I’m openly bald?
Liesel is an expert in the practice of Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) a method to quiet your reactions to stress and enable yourself to make good decisions — even in the midst of stressful circumstances. Along with a guided EFT session specifically for women facing hair loss during the interview, Liesel has graciously provided you with two gifts and a generous bonus for those wishing to take a deeper dive into EFT (see below).
• Co-founder of The EFT Academy of Southern
Africa and an EFT Trainer.
• Author of “No Problem. Upside of Saying No”
• She helps women to make mindful career transitions when their job no longer fills them with joy.
• Creator of the “Savvy Self-Care Secrets Telesummit.”
Boldly Bald Women: How to Survive and Thrive in a Hair Obsessed World